The ABMS has issued definitions of ‘Clinically Active’ and ‘Clinically Inactive’ and requires that all diplomates self-report their status once every 24 months in each area of certification. This information will be available to the public.
1. Clinically Active: Any amount of direct and/or consultative patient care has been provided in the preceding 24 months. This includes the supervision of residents.
A. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care sufficient to complete an Improvement in Medical Practice (PIP) Unit.
B. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care not sufficient to complete a PIP Unit.
2. Clinically Inactive: No direct and or/consultative patient care has been provided in the past 24 months.
3. Status Unknown: No information available on the clinical activity of this diplomate.
Diplomates must update their Clinical Activity Status in the Diplomate Information and Status Section in ABPN Physician Folios.
For candidates and diplomates
• LOG IN HERE to apply for an exam or
• Update and track MOC information
For training directors and coordinators
• Update resident training details
• Print Graduate Performance Reports
For the public and credentialers
• Search for Board certified physicians
• Verify certification status