American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. (ABPN)
Learn about MOC
The ABPN MOC Program reflects the Board’s commitment to lifelong learning throughout one’s profession. The mission of the ABPN's Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program is to advance the clinical practice of psychiatry and neurology by promoting the highest evidence-based guidelines and standards to ensure excellence in all areas of care and practice improvement.
Candidates can download application materials for their online examination and view other important information.
Select Certification or MOC for your Specialty/Subspecialty, and view information pertaining to your examination.
ABPN Certification and MOC related materials
Apply for an examination | ABPN Physician Folios site | Visit the Pearson VUE Website
ABPN Approved PIP Clinical Product and Feedback Product Lists are available for your Specialty/Subspecialty by clicking on the appropriate Maintenance of Certification (MOC) link.
You may also view All Approved MOC Products Listing
Find exam schedules
Examination schedules are available for your Specialty/Subspecialty by clicking on the appropriate Certification or Maintenance of Certification (MOC) link.
You may also download the PDF version listing all examinations
ABPN Specialty/Subspecialty exam schedules
MOC Activity Requirements
Based on recent feedback from the field and availability of ABPN-approved MOC products, the ABPN has reduced the number of self-assessment CME credits from 40 to 24 in order to assist our diplomates in meeting examination requirements for the MOC examination in 2015. If you have earned more than 24 SA CME credits, the additional credits may be applied to the first C-MOC cycle after passing the 2015 MOC examination.
For those diplomates who are not in the Continuous Maintenance of Certification (C-MOC) program and whose certificates expire in 2016 through 2021, the number of self-assessment credits required to sit for their exam has also been reduced to 24. In addition, they will only be required to complete one PIP clinical and one PIP feedback module to be eligible to sit for the exam. The requirement of 300 category 1 CME credits remains the same.
A complete description of the requirements for admission can be found in the Information for Applicants publication, on our website at ABPN IFA Publications. Beginning in 2014, diplomates are required to use only ABPN-approved products for self-assessment and performance in practice activities. A list of ABPN approved maintenance of certification products is available at ABPN MOC Approved Products List.
Learn more about ABPN Physician Folios
The ABPN Physician Folios offers a single source for information pertinent to a physician at all the various stages of a relationship with the ABPN - from resident through seasoned diplomate engaged in MOC. Likewise, ABPN Physician Folios provides a dynamic conduit for important data exchange such as making updates to personal contact information, updating medical license information, and applying and paying for an examination.
Visit ABPN Physician Folios (www.abpn.com/folios) and follow the instructions to activate your account. Over time, more functions will be added into the ABPN Physician Folios such as an area for residents to view their status toward completion of credentialing activities for initial certification, and an area for diplomates to record their maintenance of certification activities.
What's in the site?
The ABPN Physician Folios site gives you access to two main functions: Views and Actions. Views are simply displays of information. The actionable items that can be performed are typically stated as such and appear in an underlined dark red font: Click to Apply for an Examination or Update License Information.
Be sure to look for little "Info" symbols like this throughout the web site. Move your cursor over these symbols and pop up boxes or bubbles display important information regarding "views" or "actions" for that page.
How do I activate an account?
In order to log in to the secure portal, you must have an established relationship with the ABPN through one of the following methods:
• You are a diplomate of the ABPN.
• Your training program must have entered your residency and/or your fellowship training into the ABPN preCERT® system.
• You have previously applied for an ABPN examination.
1) Go to www.abpn.com/folios. You may wish to bookmark ("ctrl D") the login page for future quick reference.
2) Click the "Activate Account" button.
3) A secondary authentication page will be launched asking for your current email address, first name, last name, birth date, and the last four digits of your social security number. (If the system is not able to authenticate you using these pieces of information, you can click on the Activate Account Assistance link for instructions.
4) Upon authentication and activation, a unique case-sensitive password will be emailed to you.
5) Return to www.abpn.com/folios, enter your email address and your password, click login.
6) Once you login you can change your password by clicking on the Change Password link at the top of the page.
Read the ABPN Quarterly Update
Learn the answers to the following questions by visiting ABPN Web site’s Quarterly Update page at www.abpn.com/QuarterlyUpdate or click on the listed items below for more information.
This edition of ABPN’s Quarterly Update features Changes in MOC Requirements.
As a result of the new 2015 ABMS MOC Standards and based on feedback from the field, the ABPN has changed some of the ABPN MOC program requirements. Some specific requirements that have changed are:
1. Feedback modules require that diplomates collect feedback from only ONE of the following options. [more]
2. The ABPN has reduced the amount of MOC activity needed to meet the requirements for the 2015 through 2021 MOC examinations. [more]
3. Some C-MOC program requirements may be waived for diplomates who pass the subspecialty certification exam in 2012, or later. [more]
4. Diplomates are no longer required to enter the details of their MOC activities in the ABPN Physician Folios system. Diplomates will now attest to having completed the MOC requirements. [more]
The next scheduled Quarterly Update will be sent in the third quarter of 2014.
Request a receipt
Requests for receipts must be submitted in writing using a form. Either print and fax this form or fill in and submit the form online via the web. Requests cannot be fulfilled via the telephone.
During peak time perriods such as near tax time it may take 48 hours or longer to process the receipt request.
Click here to go to the receipt request form.
Download a form
All forms and documents available for download are in PDF file format . PDF files can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are experiencing difficulty opening a pdf file, you may need the current version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader, that may be downloaded free of charge from the Adobe web site.
To download a form, click on a topic and you will be directed to the appropriate area on the web site.
Change your address
You can change your address by logging into ABPN Physician folios at www.abpn.com/folios. You can also change your contact information, update your license, etc.
If you do not currently have an account, there are instructions on the login page that will guide you through this process.
Change your name/title
You can change your name and/or title by sending documentation via fax or mail.
View testing screens
Testing screen samples are available for Specialties/Subspecialties by clicking on the appropriate link.
ABPN Specialty/Subspecialty testing screens